I'll Leave You With a Thought

It was real.
I feel like that can pretty much define it for me. Currently, I have 45 minutes to type this because I have to be up at 3:30 to get on a plane to upstate New York. Okay back to business since this a grade. Now, the word ‘real’ can have a few connotations. Let’s explore that and learn more about Alex’s life than you would prefer.

So I can’t help but feel a whirl of emotions right now, but those feelings are real and I think that’s pretty neat. It’s the end of the school year, the end of high school, no do overs, and we’ve already seen many last’s: Last high school play, last musical, (soon) last prom, last football game, and many other defining high school moments. But hopefully these aren’t the best years of our lives. Plus we still have exams, prom, and graduation ahead of us, but most importantly the summer without summer assignments. All of this was real, but pretty sucky that it’s about to end. I can only imagine this feeling will escalate as we draw closer to the end.

Memories are real even if they are stories you begin to tell yourself. So cherish those high school memories, even the bad ones because as cheesy as it sounds, they shaped me into the person that I am. We can’t repress everything because then what’s left? I remember the first day of high school, walking into the gym thinking there would be some freshman assembly, or playing with the soccer team, or hearing Baron talk about the IB program so often. I think all my close friendships were real, even if some of them had a falling out, I wouldn’t trade those memories for the world. I kinda had this thing in school where I wanted to become friends with everyone, basically an impossible task but I tackled it going into IB. I made sure I knew everyone by the end of it and it’s kind of a neat feeling because there’s so many unique and interesting people out there and I wish we talked more. I feel like I end up caring about my friends way much more than they care about me or than I care about myself.

Going on another route for the word ‘real’, I’ve struggled with being it. I’ve had a lot of inner conflicts with being ‘real’ with people. How I’ve acted felt different depending on who I was speaking with. I began to hate not knowing why I act certain ways with different people and who I actually was because in all honesty, these different versions of myself felt wrong. I still have a difficult time with the question, “Who am I?”. But yes I get it, that’s something that comes with time and experience but I find it very frustrating right now.

Sidenote: A lot of people are aware that I over share sometimes and obviously I’m doing just that on this post.

I didn’t really plan this out before I started typing so I’ll make a list of some random thoughts or recurring ideas and some possible life advice
  • Say what you feel. Even if you don’t think it’s correct or the right time, you can deal with the consequences after instead of letting it build up. It’s better to be yourself and feel how you do. I put up this front junior year to seem very happy all the time. But that wasn’t being me, I was suppressing everything I didn’t want to feel. I’ve adjusted my take on emotions at school to actually let myself be. It was freeing to feel sad or cry. I didn’t have to explain myself. I could try to be me, whoever that is.
  • Is our outwards persona just a mask we put on in order to cope with any of our troubles we’d rather forget in the moment? Bc wouldn't it be crazy if you were feeling everything all at once? So much to process.
  • Each year the routine of classes becomes mundane. How I’ve countered this is by doing at least one thing each day to make it memorable. Whether it be talking to a new friend, participating in basically anything after school, new places to eat, or new jokes and I keep a journal of this. - Just the other day I was looking through it and feeling very nostalgic.
  • Why do people leave without a warning? It sucks but life wouldn’t be interesting if we knew everything and not all surprises have to be good. It’s more how we react to those events and continue on even though it’s scary.
  • I’m really enjoying this blog post because it feels like I’m journaling with myself again, but knowingly publishing this on the internet. -Be bold buds.
  • Why do I usually end up thinking about one thing for too long? But who’s the say how long is too long?
  • Why do I get anxious over what other people think? It shouldn’t matter because they can only affect you if you let it.
  • Sometimes I don’t think I deserve to be happy. I know that’s a negative thought but it’s there. But being happy isn’t something we should strive for, rather a finding fulfillment in something you're passionate about? I still haven’t figured that one out.
  • Why did I make this blog post so long? I’ve been making up a lot as I go and this is the last one so honestly why not.


So, this is our last post together, and to whomever it may concern, I hope your life continues to change, otherwise that would be boring. I hope you find your place, your people, your purpose.  Stay curious, there’s always more to learn. Seek adventure! It’s out there. Carpe diem. Make your lives extraordinary. Watch the Dead Poets Society. You are alive, you are important, you are worth it, you are beautiful, you are special, you are capable of so much so let’s be real and do yourself a huge favor: step out of your own way, big things can happen.

I challenge you with this: will you let it be real?



Comments

  1. I am going to overshare as well, I am low key kind of crying while reading this post. A lot of the sentiments you have been so gracious to share I have dealt with at one point or another, or am still dealing with. It feels good to know that you aren't alone in your thoughts, you know? I hope you have a wonderful time in upstate New York. I am definitely going to try and take some of your advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, full disclosure, I read this right before doing my blog and I burst into tears while reading it. It was so wonderful, and yes it was real! You really summed up what senior year meant to you and how you've grown since freshman year, which is also real because I was there!! I will always remember sitting/suffering through three years of Spanish together and I'm still really mad that we weren't in the same class this year!! However, English is a great class too and I'm glad I get at least one class with such an awesome person! I'm going to miss the you so much next year, and I know you will go on to do amazing things wherever you go!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I was choosing a blog post to read I came upon this one and was like "I wonder what Alex is thinking". And I'm so glad I read this blog post because it is honestly amazing and inspiring. Lately I feel as though everyone (and myself) has been so nostalgic and emotional and I definitely felt nostalgic reading and thinking about this blog post. I really liked your list of random thoughts, and I just had a random thought: One day in the future (if we remember the link to Genesky's page) we will be able to look back on all that we've posted and commented. This will be (hopefully) on the internet forever! Technology is great and mind blowing honestly. Okay I'm rambling now so bye for now and hello to anyone who reads this in the future! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't ever apologize for oversharing, all of your friends want to be there for you in all your highs and lows. Just putting yourself out there, even if it's only for a few people to see, it a big step and shows how much you have grown. You know how us IB kids are taught to reflect, reflect, reflect? I think at the end of the day it helped us out because even outside of school we began analyze ourselves and in turn have become a different person. I think we can all relate to your post, myself included, because we have all had those self-doubt days. I am glad to have you as a friend to talk to, or even just to sit next to you in comfortable silence, because that is often where I feel the most happy. Good luck to you next year, we shall keep in touch and you can tell me all about your new friends and latest obsessions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post is admittedly pretty long post, I still really enjoyed it. Of course, I didn't have as much of an emotional reaction as the people above me, but maybe that's to be expected. Upon first reading, I was a very intrigued. I don't think it's bad thing you overshare, it's one of your more redeeming qualities, and it made this blog post very entertaining. Reading your memories about high school and reflecting on them, conveying messages to us as you go was fun. Lastly, the question, "Who am I?", is particularly profound. One way to answer it, from my perspective, is simply that you're Alexandra. Volatile as you might be, that part won't change. Everything about your message about memories fits in with how I think of them as well. Duly speaking, memories make up pretty much our entire being; without memories, we wouldn't be living really, just existing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the bullet points and I love you and I love how kind you are to everyone. I hate that we didn't get close until the end of this year but I love that we did get closer and I can't wait to make trips to NC State just to see you. Thank you for being an amazing person Alex

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wasn't really sure what I wanted to comment here. I didn't cry, but it did make me a little upset or maybe nostalgic, I'm not sure. The bullet points are great. The advice that you gave in those is great and I think that they are all things to think about going forward. Also just thinking that this really is our last, our last blog post, technically this is my last blog comment, and things are really going to change. This was a great last post to read and I'm so grateful to have gotten to know you since Sophomore year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment